In 2005 a Department of Law was started within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. This Department was responsible for managing the Bachelor of Laws degree programme which was launched in March of the same year as well as teaching of various law courses in other faculties such as the Faculty of Commerce.
The Department of Law transformed into the Faculty of Law in 2007 and was formally inaugurated on the occasion of the University’s Convocation on 25th August 2007.
The Faculty has three departments viz., Department of Public Law, the Department of Private Law, and the Department of International Law. Each department is headed by a Head of Department who reports to the Dean.
The Faculty offers a four year Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) degree programme which aims at producing law graduates who have mastery of Kenyan law with a regional perspective. About 1035 students were registered for the programme. There are plans to start a Master of Laws degree programme in the 2014/2015 academic year.
In keeping with the Faculty’s research objectives academic staff have been engaged in research and have published a number of books including the following:
In 2012 the Faculty organized a workshop at which the LL.B curriculum was reviewed and updated.
In 2014 the Faculty hosted a symposium on the Marriage Bill at which scholars from CUEA and other institutions participated.
Students of the Faculty have participated in moot competitions within the country and outside and have won prizes at some of these competitions.