We refer to recent media reports on intended closure of some Universities, including The Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA). Our University was audited by the Commission for University Education (CUE) last year (2017) in January, September and December. The first audit was a general quality audit targeting all Universities in Kenya and was requested by the Ministry of Education. The September audit was impromptu following reports and complaints received by CUE, while the December audit was for regular recertification. The recent reports covered by the Media may have arisen from the September audit.
The Catholic University is implementing a turn around strategy that involves restructuring and rationalisation of its administration staff and other resources aimed at ensuring sound financial operations. Further clarification may be shared as follows:
- The University’s Board of Trustees (BoT) and Council are actively involved in implementing this turnaround strategy. This includes BoT’s approval and direction with regard to bailing out the University to ensure the debt-burden, arising from infrastructural investments, is reduced to manageable levels; this is ongoing.
- We have restructured and rationalised staff numbers to enhance efficiency, productivity and also to improve the quality of services. The staff ratio of teaching to non-teaching at 2:1 has been realized which is consistent with CUE’s requirements.
- From the December Audit, the Commission did appreciate that “the University has governance structures that are aligned to the Universities Act No. 42 of 2012 Revised Edition 2016 (2015)”.
- The Commission (in the September audit) did also appreciate that the turnaround strategy was working as they observed a reduction in our debts.
- The University was selected by the AAU-EU for the African Quality Rating Mechanism audit, and CUEA was found to be credible and delivering quality service.
We assure all our stakeholders that CUEA is doing all that is needed to remain in operation as a chartered University.
Prof. Justus MBAE,