The bachelor of commerce degree programme started in 1991. Between 1991 and 2002 the students were admitted in the Department of Commerce and Business administration (CBA) in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
The Faculty of Commerce was inaugurated on 25th August 2003. It has three departments: Department of Accounting and Finance, Department of Marketing and Management and Department of Management Science.
The departments offer jointly; ordinary diploma in business management, advanced diploma in Business Management and Bachelor of commerce degree programme, with specializations in Accounting, Finance, Banking and Financial Services, Marketing, Management and Human Resource Management,
The Faculty has also a Graduate Business School, offering a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree programme with specializations in E- commerce, Human Resource Management, Strategic Management, Marketing, Finance and Entrepreneurship. The Graduate School also offers a Doctorate of Business Administration with specializations in Human Resource Management, Finance, Management and Marketing.
Key Achievements Based on Key Facilities Offered
- The Faculty has achieved a regional diversity of students and staff that brings in diverse experiences in the learning process.
- The Faculty was admitted as a member to the Association of African Business Schools (AABS) in March 2006.
- The Faculty of Commerce programmes are popular in the region with 40% of the University students population enrolled in the Faculty of Commerce.
- More than 50% of student population is made up of women. This is a sign of confidence by parents and sponsors for the Faculty to take care of their children (an alternative environment).
- In a study done on World business schools 2014, the bachelor of commerce was amongst the top one thousand list and was subsequently honored with a two palmes award for its regional recognition and international influence. The Eduniversal rated the Faculty as good business school with strong regional influence. It was among the top four in Kenya.
- The Faculty reviewed all its programmes in all aspects in 2011.
- The Faculty was periodically evaluated by Quality Assurance and the performance was good.
- The Faculty launched the Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA) on 20th April 2012. Fourteen (14) students were admitted into the program. The first graduates are expected this year.
- Town Campus was launched in January 2013. The Faculty programs have all taken off successfully in the Campus. The Faculty also introduced a weekend module for all its programs.
- The Faculty launched its first book “Contribution of Business Management to sustainable Development on 28th September 2014.
Uniqueness of the Programmes Offered
- The Faculty offers courses that are demand driven in order to meet the changing dynamics of the business environment.
- The Faculty produces skilled labour force with a high level of integrity to meet the challenges of the dynamic business environment.
- Learners are equipped with the modern business management skills necessary to solve complex organizational problems in areas such as marketing, finance, accounting, business administration, management of human resources, management science, banking and financial services.